Peanuts are popular in many parts of the world and in the USA, for example, they are traditionally eaten on sandwiches in the form of peanut butter. But be careful: up to one percent of German children suffer from peanut allergies. A small amount is enough to cause an allergic reaction immediately or a few hours after consumption. Signs of this are headaches, swelling, abdominal cramps, diarrhoea, asthma attacks, itching or nausea and vomiting. Anaphylactic shock can even occur and be fatal. So if you have no experience with peanuts yet, you should be cautious about using them. There is no cure yet, but according to an Australian study it may soon be possible.
The peanut herb has a unique root system, which allows it to find enough nutrients in the leastiest soils, which explains why peanuts have spread around the world.